Wingssail Home Wingssail Images LogBookPages Map of our travels Index Email Fred & Judy

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nov. 18, 2010-One Month In Mauritius


wingssail images-fredrick roswold
Wings anchored in Mauritius

I wake up at 05:30 each day when the sun rises and as I lie in my bunk I can see blue sky out the port over my head.

It makes me want to get up, get a cup of coffee, and go on deck to see the world, which I will do as Judy continues to sleep in.

There is coffee from yesterday already in the pot and I heat it. I’ll make another pot later with the beans we brought from Sumatra, to be fresh and hot for Judy when she gets up, but for now this is fine.

On deck with my Starbucks cup I look around at the anchored boats and watch the fishermen heading out to sea.

Other than the rumble of the fishing boat engines its quiet at 5:30 in Grand Bay, Mauritius and the weather is gorgeous. The sky is blue, the air is clean and the sun is bright. The morning is really nice.

Day after day.

Judy says the wind blows too much, but I even like that.

Later the buses start moving along the shoreline highway and the town wakes up. Someone ashore starts a jack hammer at a construction site. The peace is broken.

By then I’ve gone back below and turned on the computer.

We’ve been a month in Mauritius and I’ve come to love the weather and the beauty of the country.

In that month we spent some time in the marina at Port Louis and we’ll go back there in a week or so. Other than that we’ve been anchored in Grand Bay. Both locations are good for living on a boat, within walking distance to markets, super markets, and many shops and restaurants nearby. Bus service is frequent and cheap, rental cars are affordable. The country offers much to see. We’ve met a few people, not made any close friends yet except with cruisers who have already sailed onward.

On many afternoons we go into the yacht club and have a drink and watch the sun go down before returning to Wings for dinner on board. We like it here at Grand Bay.

Later, after we return to Port Louis, we might sail to Black River, further down the coast. We hear there is a good anchorage and a quiet village there. Or we might even sail around the Island to Grand Port, on the SE side.

We’ve been here a month and we have another five months before we sail away ourselves.

I think we’ll like our stay here.

Click here for a few more images from Grand Bay and our dingy trip today.

Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mauritius

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jan roswold brown said...

Really....it sounds pretty good. Of course, when you have no choice, it takes away some of the pleasure, but, well, really, not so bad. You are safe. You are alive. We love you. Jan

20 November, 2010 17:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page
#